Sooner or later, you'll face it - the need for Sitecore version upgrade. However, each Sitecore instance is unique, there is no universal method for an upgrade, therefore each upgrade path is bespoke.
In the past 10 years working with Sitecore I have done numerous upgrades, resulted in Upgrade Planning Strategy and a set of Upgrade Tips and Tricks. These tips will help saving 2-3 times (!) on spent efforts, comparing to direct approaches.
Last but not the least. versions 10 and 10.1 brought new challenges and options of migrating existing solutions into containers. I will explain your options and propose best approach on this as well.
I have lodged the speech proposal for SUGCON 2021 and fingers crossed to
be chosen, so that I will share the whole presentation and sides
updating this blog post.
There is still no "silver bullet" for Sitecore upgrades, but following tips from my session will eliminate risks, reduce efforts, and bring you confidence while upgrading your instances.
I am going to tell you about:
- How to approach the whole instance upgrade
- What are the upgrade time-wasters
- Common and potential traps to avoid
- Dealing with configuration upgrade, and why that's not as complicated as initially seems to be
- Upgrading your solution codebase, including ORM (Glass etc.) and DI
- Employing automations with PowerShell
- Upgrading databases and how to approach
- Even more automation to add
- How to treat deprecated Sitecore APIs and obsolete code
- Migrating forms from WFFM
- Upgrading to version 10 containers and how 10.1 changes the upgrades
- Testing your upgrade strategies
- Going live
- Summary of tips and findings from this session